We are not so different.
I love this, we are all just occupying different forms
I just found this gem on facebook and it is glorious
ISON update: It (probably) didn’t (completely) disintegrate
As ISON approached the Sun, astronomers – both professional and amateur – from all over the world got very excited. ISON started to flare up and get very bright, and then it vanished.
The comet started to dim and “smear” as it entered the occulter guarding NASA’s Solar and Heliospheric Observatory’s (SOHO) cameras, the Solar Dynamic Observatory caught some glimpses of “bright pixels,” but it wasn’t an astonishingly bright event. The early speculation was that ISON had completely disintegrated as it passed the Sun.
But, that’s not where the story ends…
As Phil Plait says, “It’s still possible that the initial reports of ISON’s death were somewhat exaggerated.” New images from SOHO show that ISON might still be fighting, just barely.
The “Comet of the Century” has had a lot of hype over the last year and a half, since it’s discovery in 2012. ISON is a new visitor to the inner solar system and it was set to pass within 1.2-million kilometers (730,000 miles) of the Sun. The potential to study both the origins of the Solar System and the structure of the Sun’s corona – all in the same event – was to good to pass up.
As I stated before, as the comet approached the Sun, something happened and ISON started to smear. It looked like the comet fizzed out before it even got started. Even if ISON disintegrated, scientists were suppose to see debris left over (which would be better for professional study, though not so good for amateur astronomy), but everything, the comet, the tail, everything, just vanished. Dean Pesnell, a project scientist with SDO summarized it most eloquently by saying “I’d like to know what happened to our half a mile of material that was going around the sun. Now’ it’s broken up and I didn’t see anything.”
Currently, material has reemerged from the other side of the Sun’s Corona. This is either a continuation of the tail that ISON left behind, or the comet itself. Current speculation is the dust that we see is simply dust, orbiting exactly as it should. The nucleus is probably lost.
So, what did we learn from this comet?
- We learned a lot about the original conditions of the solar system.
- Because the comet fizzed out so spectacularly, we learned that our models for comets and their composition has some serious problems; we need to figure out what those are so we can fix them.
As with all good celestial events, we are also left with a mystery… What happened to ISON while it was in SOHO’s occulter and invisible to SDO’s vision? As always, there is more than one possible answer to this mystery…
**UPDATE: 11/28 22:10 Eastern** It looks like part of ISON might have survived. We are seeing some brightening of ISON as it leaves the Sun. According to Phil Plait, comet astronomers are baffled and he is refusing to predict the comet’s actions any further. It keeps brightening, smearing, and vanishing without warning or a discernible pattern. We’ll keep you informed as the event continues to unfold.
Image credit: NASA/SOHO
It’s hilarious that non-Americans on Tumblr are all like “OMG DENNY’S TUMBLR MAKES ME WISH I LIVED IN AMERICA SO I COULD EAT THERE,” while us Americans will literally only eat at Dennys if it’s 3 in the morning and we’ve lost control of our life.
You don’t go to Denny’s. You end up at Denny’s.
"And just what the hell am I supposed to do with these?"
"I requested minions of darkness, and you gave my fluffy jellybeans."
here, have Gambit with some kittens. [Gambit #15]
- What to do when your friend is talking about suicide
- What to do if someone you know is overdosing
- What to do if your friend is hurting themselves
- First Aid for self harm
Finding Therapy, Doctors, & Medication
- Something Fishy - How will I pay?
- Mental Health America - How do I find treatment?
- Free/Cheap Medication
- The Medicine Program
- Find a Therapist
- Good Therapy.org
- Insurance Issues
- Qualities and Skills of a Good Counselor
- The Difference Between a Psychiatrist, Psychologist, Therapist & Counselor
- Extreme Hunger During Recovery
- About Water Retention During Recovery
- 281 Reasons to Recover
- Relapse Prevention
- Dealing with Bloating in Recovery
- Bloating, Indigestion, & Feeling too full
- Talking to Others About Your Mental Health Issues
- Managing Stress
- Why You Must Eat
- What is ED Recovery?
- You have no obligation to be weighed
- Learning to Love Your Body
- True Facts Our Abuse-Culture Doesn’t Want You to Know
- Tips to Overcoming and Eating Disorder from Women Who Have Recovered
- How to Eat a Fear Food
- 16 Baby Steps to Help You Cope with the Pain of Perfectionism
- 10 Things to Do When You Feel Like Crap
- Why You Should NOT Self-DiagnoseSubstance Addictions:
Restrictive Eating Disorders:
- Phases of Recovery From a Restrictive ED
- Tips to Stop Restricting
- Why You Must Regain Weight to Recover
- Eating Disorder Support Groups
- Gaining Weight After Anorexia: What To Expect
- Dealing With Weight Gain
Binge & Compensate Disorders:
Binge ED/Compulsive Eating Disorders
- Food Addicts Anonymous Meeting Finder
- Overeaters Anonymous Meeting Finder
- The “I need to lose weight” Mindset with BED
- Eating Disorder Support Groups
- Daily Meditation for Compulsive Overeating/Binge EatingGeneral Anxiety:
- Coping with Suicidal Thought
- 10 Tips on How to Work Through Feelings of Social Isolation
- 8 Tips to Overcome Loneliness
- Tips On Dealing With Depression In College
- Antidepressants: Selecting one that’s right for you
- What to expect with antidepressants
Family and Friends:
If you see this, fucking reblog it. I don’t care what type of blog you have. fucking reblog this. If you follow me and don’t reblog this, unfollow me.
Woah friend this is a happy support post no need to start swearing and making demands. No one is obligated to reblog anything.
Codependents Anonymous is also a good resource. Similar vein as Al-anon. Helpful for compulsive caretaking and learning how to help yourself.
I’ve seen hell.
Why does Meet The Robinsons get no love?
It has singing frogs
And time travel
And a man is married to a hand puppet
And a tyrannosaurus rex randomly shows up halfway through but is unable to do anything because the people he was chasing run into a corner and he has little arms
And the villan is a hat
I legitimately do not understand what’s not to love about this movie
YOU LEFT OUT THE BEST PART
THE MORAL WAS LITERALLY PERFECT AND GREAT ADVICE
Day 65: Happy Thanksgiving
I’ve decided I need this tumblr in my life